Our mission, as the flagship computer science program in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, is to:
- Provide excellent undergraduate and graduate education in a state-of-the-art environment, preparing students for careers as computer scientists in industry, government and academia;
- Advance theoretical, experimental, and applied computer science through nationally and internationally recognized research by faculty and students; and
- Support society by participating in and encouraging technology transfer.
Computer science permeates all modern endeavors in academia, government and industry, and its role will continue to grow. Through education and research, the Department of Computer Science will be recognized universally as a promoter of the centrality of computing in society.
The values of the University, which we share, guide our decisions and behavior. They are:
- Academic excellence and freedom
- Mutual respect and human dignity
- Diversity of thought, culture, gender, and ethnicity
- Personal and institutional responsibility and accountability
- Shared governance
- A sense of community
- Sensitivity to work-life concerns
- Civic responsibility.